- The equipment used in a horizontal directional drilling depends on the outer diameter of the pipe, length of the run, ground conditions and the surroundings above ground.
- The equipment involved HDD machine, F5 transmitter, F5 receiver, pilot spondee, reamers with swivel, radio detection, mud stirring system and hydraulic hot melt machine.
Supporting equipment is needed to assist directional drilling, such as drilling mud recycling system, shale shaker, mud cleaner, centrifugal pump, mud tanks, etc.
Locating and Guidance
Location and guidance of the drilling is an important part of the drilling operation, as the drilling head is under the ground while drilling and, in most cases, not visible from the ground surface. Uncontrolled or unguided drilling can lead to substantial destruction, which can be eliminated by properly locating and guiding the drill head.
Three types of locating equipment for locating the bore head:
- the walk-over locating system,
- the wire-line locating system and
- the gyro guided drilling, where a full inertial navigation system is located close to the drill head.
All three systems have their own merits, and a particular system is chosen depending upon the site requirements.